Saturday, September 25, 2010

Viva Mexico! ORALE!

Wow, unfortunately such a short time, but I love Southern Mexico! We ended not being able to leave Guatemala for one more day (until Tuesday) as there was another big protest closing down the highways. We did eventually get to leave though and made it to San Cristobal de las Casas (Chiapas) Mexico on Tuesday evening. We found a nice, safe hostel and then went out for delicious tacos! We knew what we wanted: a hole in the wall with Mexicans inside and cheap food...just like in the States, that of course means they are the best! We found just that at a place called Tacos and Beer and even got our ears chatted off by our friendly waiter, Brian. We even spoiled ourselves to dessert afterwards (an ice cream bar for me) as we barely ate the whole day. Then we had all Wednesday to walk around San Cristobal, eat more good food, get caught in the rain, and just enjoy the nice colonial town.

Our time in Chiapas was short though as Wednesday we took a 12 hour bus ride to Oaxaca. Yikes! We got into the bus terminal in Oaxaca around 7am, but waited around until 8am to get a taxi to a hostel. We found a place, got free breakfast, and then took a 2 hour nap. We probably could have slept longer, but we had to relish every moment. We walked all around town, found more tacos, ate Hawaiian Shaved Ice in the central plaza (zocalo), and even got a bit l0st. We needed another nap after all of that though, but went out again around 8pm for amazing sandwiches and walked around town. There was so much action all around the central plaza and great people watching! We especially loved watching this clown show in a plaza area, but had to get back to the hostel before 10pm in order to get hot showers! We made it just in time, 9:45pm, to get great (and much needed) showers in!

Then we were on the road again, at 8am on Friday morning we left Oaxaca for a 6.5 hour bus ride to Mexico City. We came in starving and a little nervous about the big city, but we easily found the subway and even a McDonald's ice cream sundae in the subway area to give us the energy to make it to the hostel! We are now at Hostel Amigo and love it. They have free breakfast and free dinner, so it definitely promotes community. Well, so much 'community' that Jen and I gave into peer pressure....

We attended a LUCHA LIBRE show last night. Wow. What an experience. For those who don't know, it's basically like WWE but they wear these masks and very tight pants. I actually enjoyed more than I thought. (I thought it was real fighting..eek) It was really just funny, kind of ridiculous and definitely a once in a lifetime experience!

Today, we had so much fun just exploring this great city! It's like New York City or Chicago or whatever...big, lots of people, but also lots to do! We got a tour from this very passionate man, Arturo, who taught us so much about Diego Rivera and his paintings. They are really interesting and include so much historical and political commentary. Then we got amazing Mexican Tortas al Pastor....great sandwiches that I think are shredded pork with some kind of flavoring, cheese, and avacado! And all topped off with a gigantic Papaya Licuado (Batido)! Aka a great day!

All that we have left to do tonight is go out for margaritas for our last night in Mexico! Then tomorrow we fly to Tijuana and meet Aunt Kitty and Uncle Scott in San Diego.

After 14 months, it doesn't feel real that I will be back on American soil so soon. And at this point, I don't really know how I feel about everything except that I am so excited to see my family and friends! I love you guys and miss you! God has blessed me and protected me this past year, and I thank you all so much for your prayers! I will try to add a couple photos and maybe one more blog update, but truly at this point I can only ask for your continued prayers. Prayers for all of these people that I have met along the way, my great big CMT family in Ecuador (and all over the US again), and for me as I readjust to life in the US working world. I don't know where I will be yet, but I am open and willing. Although I'm a bit anxious, I also know that God does have a plan for me and things will fall into place as they should be.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Adios America Latina!
Abrazos gigantes!
Love,
Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment